2011-10-03

Amazing Sweet Potato Chili

As always, Monday has been hectic, but such a great day for a crockpot meal!  This is one of my new favorite fall recipes.  It brings together fresh ingredients and interesting spices to make a warming and slightly spicy fall dish.  I found this recipe last month on a blog that I was directed to from gojee.com. The blog is called Cookie and Kate and features delicious recipes, but are not all necessarily nutritarian like this recipe, but the photography makes everything look wonderful.  Please note that I have tweaked the recipe from the original on Cookie and Kate to include more veggies, more liquid, and no added oil or salt.

Sweet Potato Chili


Ingredients:
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 green bell peppers, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (+/- for heat)
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
(or, 2 frozen tomatoes, skins off and chopped, discard core)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 c vegetable broth

Directions: In a skillet saute (with water if needed) onion, pepper, and garlic for 10 minutes, or until onions become slightly translucent.  Combine sauted and remaining ingredients in crockpot and stir in spices well.  Set crockpot on low for 6+ hours or on high for 2-3 hours.  Serve topped with chopped scallions, crutons, or shredded cheese.  

Amy's Notes:  Great combination for sweet potato chili is fresh corn on the cob and a small side salad.  It is also great to have over brown rice heartier dinner.  One batch seems like a lot, but believe me, it will go very fast!  I've been making double batches lately.


Sweet potatoes have been my favorite new ingredient and I love every recipe I've found it in.  This was the first recipe that started me on a sweet potato binge for the last month, and I plan on making sweet potatoes a regular addition to my weekly menu, as my budget will allow.
Do you have any great new ingredients that you've been using in your cooking?  How have you tweaked recipes to be able to include this ingredient?

No comments:

Post a Comment