10.26.2011

Baked Sweet Potatoes with Apples and Walnuts

I'm so happy to have apples again!  I brought home nearly twice as many as last time, and I can't wait to start using them.  The following recipe was sent to me from Dr. Fuhrman because I am a website member.  Members get recipes sent to them daily along with other special offers.  My membership costs around $4 a month and gives me access to online tools such as custom menus, "ask the doctor" forums, and a large archive of recipes.  The recipes alone make the membership worth it.  My only complaint is that a very small fraction of the recipes have pictures with them, which is usually the reason why we choose to make most things: because they look good.  First is my recipe as I made it today, followed by the official Dr. Fuhrman Baked Sweet Potatoes with Apples and Cranberries.


ANK Baked Sweet Potatoes with Apples and Walnuts


Ingredients:
1 very large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
1 large golden delicious apple, peeled and diced
3/4 c chopped frozen prunes
1/4 c raisins
1/4 c pineapple juice
1/4 c walnuts, lightly chopped

Directions:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place sweet potatoes in a baking dish and top with diced apples, prunes, raisins, and walnuts.  Pour pineapple juice over evenly.  Cover tightly with foil.  Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.


Dr. Fuhrman's Baked Sweet Potatoes with Apples and Cranberries
Ingredients:
4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
3/4 c cranberries, fresh or frozen
1/2 c raisins
1/2 c orange juice

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place sweet potatoes in a large baking dish.  Top with diced apples, cranberries, and raisins.  Pour orange juice over all.  Cover tightly with lid or foil.  Bake for 1 and 1/4 hours or until sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.


I have to say this recipe is just delicious!  I made it very late on Tuesday night and did not get to try it till Wednesday for lunch.  It was savory enough to have for lunch or for more of a dessert.  I'm planning on having it in my oatmeal tomorrow morning.  Yum!

I've gotten in the habit of keeping a couple different choices of frozen fruit in my fridge, such a prunes, bananas, and pineapple.  What is your favorite frozen fruit to keep on hand?