2012-09-27

Blogiversary: Black Eyed Pea Fritters

I have a pretty fun recipe to bring you guys today!  I can't tell you how many times I've tried unsuccessfully to make bean burgers or fritters, only to have them fall apart in the skillet.  I finally found the secret: you need to BAKE the bean burgers/fritters!!!  This recipe came about because I had some extra black eyed peas I had made earlier in the week that I was wanting to use up.  In researching recipes for black eyed peas I came to find that, in the Southern US, black eyed peas are considered a lucky food to eat on new years.... that got me to thinking about how today is my one year blogging anniversary!.... My Blogiversary, so to say.

I took some time today to reflect on a few old posts I have written.  Here are a few of my favorites over the past year... (the titles of each are links if you'd like to check out the recipes)









Ah, now that I've gone through my nostalgic series of recipes, on to a new one!



Ingredients:

  • Fritters:
    • 2 very full cups cooked black eyed peas
    • 1/4 onion, finely chopped
    • 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
    • 1 cup cooked quinoa
    • 2 bunches fresh basil, minced
    • 1 tsp dried rosemary
    • 1 tsp minced garlic
    • salt and pepper to taste

  • Cream Topping
    • 1 cup mashed potatoes
    • 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
    • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
    • 1 bunch fresh basil
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • 2 stalks green onion, sliced, to sprinkle on top
Directions:
  1. Prepare the beans and quinoa ahead of time.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  3. Place all fritter ingredients except for the quinoa in a large food processor.  Pulse several times, scraping the sides as needed, until it forms a mixture that is processed but still very chunky.
  4. In a large bowl mix together the cooked quinoa and the processed bean mixture.
  5. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray with non-stick baking spray.
  6. Using your hands, squish and mix the fritter mixture lightly, then form into 1-2 inch patties.
  7. Place them evenly spaced out on the baking sheet, and bake for 12-15 minutes.
  8. Take them out of the oven and flip each fritter.  Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
  9. Remove from pan and top with preferred topping (I used a creamy potato mixture, ingredients above well processed in a small processor).




Amy's Notes:
The fritters are ready to be flipped/removed from the oven when the side/sides have a slight brown crisp to them.  For my fritters, I decided to top them with a creamy mashed potato mixture, but feel free to top them however you like.  An olive tapenade would probably be yummy!  These fritters can work as great appetizer/party finger foods.  Also feel free to play with the spice mixture used.  I bet these would be great with a spicy cajun mixture!  Another way to use these fritters is to have them in sandwiches or pita pockets like you might falafels.  I think that's what I'll be doing with my leftovers of this recipe.  However you try it, I hope you enjoy!

How do you like to celebrate Blank-"aversaries" (a.k.a. one year achievements) in your life?

2 comments:

  1. I substitute mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes, (or at least a 3 to 1 ratio). I bet it would work here too! Can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried mashed cauliflowers. That would be more nutritious! Hope they go well for you!

      Delete