2012-09-25

Purple Kale Curry

Grr!  I'm mad at myself for not sticking to the blog schedule!  Things come up, and well, you know how it is...  For today, I will be showing you guys what I got on a trip to the local farmer's market with a good girlfriend of mine, and how I used some of the ingredients in a curry I made in bulk to have for my lunches this week.

 At the Farmer's Market I picked up...

  • 3 purple bell peppers- $1
  • 1 bunch blue kale- $1
  • 2 large zucchini- $1
  • Ambernut squash- $4
  • Basil


 My parent's neighbor asked me to water her plants while she was away for the weekend and asked that I take any tomatoes that were ripe so they didn't go to waste.  From that I got several large tomatoes and dozens of small, sweet orange tomatoes.  They are so flavorful!

I was inspired by the purple bell peppers and blue kale to make something unique for my weekday lunches.  Here is what I came up with:

Purple Kale Curry


Ingredients:

  • Curry paste:
    • 1 Tbsp curry powder
    • 1 tsp cinnamon
    • 1/4 tsp saffron or tumeric
    • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
    • 1/4 tso ground red pepper (cayenne pepper)
    • 1 Tbsp brown rice syrup (or honey)
    • 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
  • Curry:
    • 2 medium onions, sliced
    • 3 small bell peppers, diced (any color, I used purple)
    • 4 cups kale, chopped (I used blue kale)
    • 1/2 c fresh basil, chopped
    • 1 can Coconut milk
  • Red pepper flakes, to taste
  • low sodium soy sauce, to taste


Blue Kale (I think it looks more purple)

Purple Bell Peppers
 Directions:

  1. Combine curry paste ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
  2. In a large frying pan or dutch oven water saute the onions and peppers until tender but crisp.
  3. Pour in the can of coconut milk, and measure in one can of water into the saucepan.
  4. Bring the saucepan to a simmer, and add in curry paste.  Stir until well mixed in.
  5. Maintain at a simmer and add the kale and basil.
  6. Turn off heat and stir in kale and basil until the kale has lightly wilted.
  7. Add red pepper flakes and soy sauce to get desired taste.
  8. Serve over brown rice.
Amy's Notes:
In the picture above I serve the curry on top of brown rice with black eyed peas.  You can of course serve it over any type of grain and with or without any beans you desire.  In this recipe feel free to use any type of bell pepper you have on hand.  Also, use any type of dark green in place of the blue kale, such as collard greens, curly kale, dinosaur kale, or spinach.  Enjoy!

What unique things have you found at your local farmer's market?




1 comment:

  1. I have never seen purple bell peppers, how cool looking!

    ReplyDelete