2014-02-28

Getting in your Fresh Fruits

I don't know about some of you, but I often have a difficult time fitting in at least four fresh fruits daily.  I am one who enjoys sleeping in as much as possible, so I allow myself the 20 minutes I need to get dressed and primped before running out of the door in the morning.  I generally don't have time for much else, so it is a challenge for me to eat a healthful, fruit-filled breakfast unless it is ready for me to grab and go.

I have had a pineapple sitting on my shelf for the last few weeks waiting for it to feel ripe enough to eat, I also purchased a bunch of fruit at the grocery store last night, including cantaloupe, navel oranges, grapefruit, and blackberries.  Another recent purchase of mine was a set of two gigantic Tupperware storage bowls  that holds a lot of food... A LOT.  I decided my fresh fruit and gigantic Tupperware was just what I needed to get myself consistently eating a variety of fresh fruit in the morning.

Fresh Fruit for the Week:
Here is my breakfast this morning, already half eaten :)

  • 1 pineapple
  • 1 cantaloupe
  • 1 grapefruit
  • 2 navel oranges
  • 3 bananas
  • 4 small apples
  • 1 box blackberries
  • 1 lemon, juiced
Instructions:
  1. Peel, cut, core, etc. all fruit and place into a large bowl.
  2. Pour the juiced lemon over the fruit and toss to coat.
  3. Store in an airtight container and eat over the week.
Amy's Notes:
Now, let's break down the servings of all of these fruits.  
  • 1 pineappe ~ 4 servings
  • 1 cantaloupe ~ 6 servings
  • 1 grapefruit ~ 2 servings
  • 2 navel oranges ~2 servings
  • 3 bananas ~3 servings
  • 4 small apples ~2 servings
  • 1 box blackberries ~ 1 serving
Total servings in my fruit bowl: 20
I'm guessing that it will take me about 4 days to go through the whole bowl, so that equates out to be 5 servings of fruit fruit per day... SCORE!  Prepping the whole bowl took me about 30 minutes from start to cleanup, so that takes away time that I would have spent trying to cut fruit in the mornings.

On another subject, one of my best girlfriends is getting married this summer and I am one of her bridesmaids.  She was nice enough to let us pick out different dresses as long as they were all the same color.  This is the dress I ordered earlier this week for the wedding:
Her color is a gorgeous deep plum purple, and her accent color is silver.  Now all I have to do is to be on the lookout for some sparkly, but comfortable silver heels.  I'm so excited for the summer to come!

In the meantime, Kevin and I will be hitting the gym like crazy, preparing for our cruise in May to the Caribbean.  We had a bit of a gym slump this week because it snowed and/or was icy on the roads, especially in the evening, so we opted to stay in a few nights.  I'm hoping to get back to work tonight and try out a Zumba Party class with the bride-to-be mentioned above.  It should be a fun time.  To encourage us, I sent this picture to Kevin:
Have a great weekend... and eat your fruit!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, FYI pineapples don't ripen after they are picked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, I guess I didn't realize that. I guess I was waiting for my taste buds to "ripen" more before cutting into my pineapple. It ended up being juicy and delicious. :)

      Delete
  2. I got that same dress for Jenny's wedding, but in a non satin fabric., in almost the same color. I love it! So comfortable and cute!

    ReplyDelete