2014-02-18

I feel a change coming...

I've been talking over the last couple of weeks on my blog about how Kevin and I have recently joined a gym.  We have been going regularly, 4-5 times a week, and I am beginning to see results in my muscles... but not on the scale.  After a few weeks of being downright frustrated with these results, I decided to take a good hard look at what I was eating day to day.  To be short, it looked much more like a processed vegetarian diet than a Nutritarian diet.  So, I have decided to make a change and add back in those fruits and veggies that had slowly made their way out of my diet.  After all...


Here is what I ate yesterday compared to what I have been eating on a more regular basis: 

On my way to work I had a green juice that had a cucumber, small green apples, turnip greens, and broccoli stems.
Before I may have stopped to grab a decaf coffee with soy milk and caramel syrup.
Once I got to work I had a big bowl of fruit with apples, tangerines, mandarin oranges, grapefruit, strawberries, and a banana.
Before, for breakfast I may have had a big bowl of oatmeal with raisins, craisins, walnuts, almonds, chocolate chips, and soy milk on top.
For lunch I had a huge salad with mixed greens, red bell pepper, broccoli, carrots, celery, green onion, chickpeas, tomato, and a miso-dijon dressing.
Before, for lunch I would often have a large serving of grains with beans, a few veggies, and generally a salty sauce.
Yesterday for dinner I had a small side salad (unpictured) and a few scoops of Dr. Fuhrman's Asparagus, Mushroom, and Leek Ragout (link to recipe for Dr. Fuhrman members).  Note that I changed the recipe a bit by adding kidney beans while cooking the mushrooms and asparagus.  It added that extra bean that I needed in my day.
On a normal day, dinner could be some processed bread or chips with dip such as beans or guacamole.
Also, did I mention that before I would have had some chocolate kisses or M&Ms during the day?  I know!  I'm terrible!

As you can see from my descriptions, what I ate yesterday and what I had been eating before were both technically vegetarian, but my choices yesterday were much much more Nutritarian.  I think this is the step that I have known I should take all along in order to achieve successful weight loss, but just didn't want to put in the effort to make it happen... until now that is.  

So, here starts my new effort to increase the nutrient density in my diet.  After reading several articles from Dr. Fuhrman's website, I have had a re-enlightening to why it is we strive for nutrient-density in the first place:


Who's with me!?!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you! I recently went through my own renewal with Eat To Live. I have been following the Nutritarian lifestyle again and I feel so good. The only benefit to getting side tracked is realizing how much better you do feel when you are eating nutrient dense foods. And, hunger and appetite are not an issue while eating this way - my cravings and hunger pangs go away. Let's keep this up!

    ReplyDelete