Green Split Pea Hummus
Time: 15 minutes, plus 1 hour cook time
Serves: Party size!
1 cup dried green split peas (or about 2 cups cooked)
1 cup shelled pistachios
1/2 cup water (more to consistency)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- Rinse the dried green split peas in a mesh strainer and pick out any debris. Combine the rinsed and drained lentils with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and then cover. Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the lentils are tender but not quite mushy. Remove from heat and leave the cover on to steam while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients besides the green split peas. Process until the pistachios are well broken up and smooth.
- Strain any remaining liquid from the cooked green split peas and add to the food processor. Process until smooth and creamy, adding in water by the tablespoon until the desired consistency is reached.
- Place the hummus into an airtight container in the fridge to cool before serving.
- Serve with your favorite healthy crackers, chips, and raw veggies.
If you don't happen to have pistachios on hand, any other type of nut or seed will work, such as cashews, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, etc.
This hummus is also great on a panini, like the one pictured below. For this panini, I loaded it with my split pea hummus, lots of red onion slices, and piled high with spinach. Yum!