Because of this, I've been using up the last of my fresh produce and digging into my freezer storage. Fresh berries are just too expensive right now, so we have been having frozen berries. I've make some soups and stews out of the dried beans and grains I have on hand. The goal was to not spend money on groceries for the rest of the month (my last real shopping trip was 1/11). We have only three things we can buy throughout the month: bananas, broccoli, and spinach.
This week, my meals have been not very glamorous, but thankfully pretty nutritious. If we were eating the SAD (Standard American Diet), there is no way we could make it through a month of eating as cheaply as we do.
I started off my day with a big bottle of water, and then had my smoothie on the way in to work. This smoothie had a banana, frozen mixed berries, romaine lettuce, ground flaxseed, and soy milk.
During the morning, I had three cups of tea (green, earl grey, and then chai with a bit of soy milk).
Lunch was a big bowl of freezer chili, a sliced orange bell pepper (second to last that we have in the fridge :(...), and a banana.
When I got home, I took the pup for a 2 mile walk/jog around the neighborhood. Isn't she adorable!? I'll be sad for my parents to pick her up and take her back home this weekend.
After showering and getting dinner ready, I had a nice glass of Shiraz.
Dinner was Shane's Lentil Soup (from Vegan Under Pressure - for a chance to enter to win this new cookbook, you can enter here!), along with some chopped up celery.
Dessert was some leftover frozen berry nice cream.
To summarize according to Dr. Fuhrman's 6-week Nutritarian Plan, I had:
- 1 lb of raw vegetables with romaine in my smoothie, bell pepper with lunch, and celery with dinner
- 1 lb cooked vegetables with the veggies in my chili and lentil soup (I was probably a little short on this today)
- 4 fresh fruits with a banana and berries in my smoothie, a banana for lunch, and berry nice cream after dinner
- 1+ cup beans/legumes with the beans in my chili and lentils in my soup (I had well over 1 cup of beans this day)
- 1 cup or under of grains/starches - I didn't have any grains and had just a bit of potato in my lentil soup
- 1 oz raw nuts/seeds - I had 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed in my smoothie, other than that I had no nuts or seeds
Health and Happiness,