This was my example eating from this Monday. Mondays for me are the busiest day of the week with morning meetings and picking up breakfast for the office. I generally wait to eat breakfast most days until I get into the office, but since I know these mornings are hectic and I won't get a peaceful moment until close to 10, I eat what I call pre-breakfast to tide me over.
This day I had a banana on my way into work. Once I got in, I carried around an apple until our Monday Morning Meeting started.
Around 9:30 I got the chance to sit down at my desk and have proper breakfast. Today it was 1/3 cup rolled oats soaked in hot water, with 1/2 chopped banana and organic soy milk.
Lunch today consisted of my new favorite (and quick!) Simple Greens and Quinoa Salad with another apple and three clementines.
On my way home from work I needed to pick up some groceries. My Fred Meyer has a nice "natural foods" section and occasionally I treat myself to some chia seed kombucha. I don't usually drink my calories, but I find this a great alternative to soda if I'm craving a sweet drink.
Once a week Kevin and I make an effort to have a sit down dinner with no electronics or other distractions. I grew up having sit-down dinners most nights of the week, but Kevin did not, so this is our balance for now. This night I had a whole wheat wrap with herbed tofu spread, chopped artichoke hearts, carrots and romaine with a side of Thai red cabbage slaw and steamed asparagus (and un-pictured steamed broccolini).
Kevin was not so much into the slaw and wrap, so he made himself two burgers (unfortunately, he is not a Nutritarian), and a Caesar salad on the side. He did, however give asparagus a try and did not hate it. BIG improvement if you know my husband!
To summarize based on Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live plan:
- 1 lb raw vegetables - I met this goal with my lunch salad and the Thai slaw I had with dinner.
- 1 lb cooked vegetables - This was covered with my two helpings of steamed asparagus and broccolini at dinner.
- 4 servings fresh fruit - I met this goal with 1.5 bananas, 2 apples, and 3 clementines.
- 1 cup or more of beans - I fell a little short on this today, but I had a tofu spread on my wrap at dinner.
- 1 cup or less whole grains/starchy vegetables - I had 1/3 cup oatmeal, about 1/3 cup of quinoa, and a whole wheat wrap. I often count quinoa more towards my bean goal since it is higher in protein.
- 1 oz or less of nuts/seeds - I had a small amount of nuts blended into the tofu spread, and I also had some avocado in my lunch salad that I will count in this category because it is higher in fat.
Health and Happiness,