2020-10-07

The Perfect Pre-Mixed Oatmeal Blend


If you've ever breastfed or been friends with someone who has, you know oatmeal is the best.  It is filling when you are recovering from birth and trying to survive those newborn days, plus it has the added benefit of helping to maintain your milk supply.  I am all for letting plant foods work their magic on our bodies. 

During this pregnancy, and most of the time when I’m not pregnant, my two go-to breakfasts are green smoothies and oatmeal. Lately, I have been enjoying raw oatmeal bowls with defrosted berries, homemade almond milk, and lots of extra goodies like dried fruit, nuts, seeds, and coconut. I decided it was in my best postpartum-interest to make a pre-mixed container of oats and dried goodies for the hubby to scoop, mix with fruit and almond milk, and serve me those much-needed calories while I was recovering. 

This recipe is what I came up with for my preferences and needs, but feel free to change the ingredients and amounts to suit your needs. The rolled oat mixture can be used raw, as I enjoyed it this summer, as well as cooked by stove top or microwave. I provide all of those preparation options in the Instructions below.  Enjoy!

(Note, I combined my mixture in a VERY large bowl and in two batches.)

The Perfect Pre-Mixed Oatmeal Blend
Time: 10 minutes to prep
Servings: approx. 20 - 1 cup servings



Ingredients:
        10 cups rolled oats
         5 cups unsweetened coconut (shredded or chips)
         2 1/2 cups raisins (or other dried fruit)
         2 1/2 cups hemp seeds
         1 1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds and walnuts)
         1 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
         1 1/4 cup chia seeds (whole or ground)
         1/4 cup ground cinnamon



Instructions:
1.)  In a VERY large bowl or container (or in two half batches), mix together all ingredients.  Store in an air-tight jar or container in the fridge, scooping out 1 cup per serving.  Use one of the following ways to prep and enjoy your oatmeal.
  • Prep for Raw Oatmeal Bowl - In a large soup bowl, mix together the following and enjoy:
    • 1 cup defrosted mixed berries
    • 1/2 banana, sliced
    • 1 cup Perfect Pre-Mix Oatmeal Blend
    • 1/2-1 cup unsweetened plant milk
    • 1/4 cup unsweetened plant-based yogurt (optional)
  • Prep for a Hot Oatmeal Bowl using a Microwave - In a large soup bowl, mix together the pre-mixed oatmeal and water, then microwave for 3 minutes on high, allow to cool for 2 minutes before adding fresh fruit and plant milk.
    • 1 cup Perfect Pre-Mix Oatmeal Blend
    • 1 cup water
    • 1/2 banana, sliced
    • 1 cup fresh berries
    • 1/2-1 cup unsweetened plant milk
    • 1/4 cup unsweetened plant-based yogurt (optional)
  • Prep for a Hot Oatmeal Bowl on the Stovetop - In a small saucepan, mix together the pre-mixed oatmeal and water and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Allow to simmer for 5 minutes and remove from heat.  Allow the oatmeal to cool for 2 minutes before serving with fresh fruit and plant milk.
    • 1 cup Perfect Pre-Mix Oatmeal Blend
    • 1 1/4 cup water
    • 1/2 banana
    • 1 cup fresh berries
    • 1/2-1 cup unsweetened plant milk
    • 1/4 cup unsweetened plant-based yogurt (optional)
  • Bonus use!  Add 1/2 cup of the Perfect Pre-Mix Oatmeal Blend to any smoothie to give it some extra oomph.

Amy's Notes:
I find it best to store this mix in the fridge.  Since I have added ground flaxseeds, hemp seeds, and chia seeds - all of which I keep stored in the fridge on their own - refrigeration is best in my opinion.



Health and Happiness,

Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment