2011-11-07

Dr. Fuhrman's Apple Strudel

Well, so much for posting a crockpot recipe on Crockpot Monday.  Here is the breakdown of how Crockpot Monday failed.  I planned on making Quinoa Corn Chowder from Savvy Vegetarian on Sunday night.  I started the recipe in the crockpot on low around 7 p.m. and went about my evening playing flag football and watching tv with Kevin.  When it got time for the recipe to be done, however, the potatoes weren't cooked, and it was getting to be pretty late.  I decided it needed a few more hours on low to finish cooking the potatoes, so I set my alarm for 3 a.m. to come turn the crockpot off and I would put away the chowder in the morning.  Seems I have a knack for sleeping through alarms at 3 a.m., and I let the crockpot go all night long.  The edges of my crockpot were burnt and the chowder well well overdone.  I had this for dinner tonight after I took and end of recipe photo-shoot.  It tasted just fine, not amazing, but eatable.  The pictures from it, however, were terrible looking.  It was more of a brown color than the recipe pictured on the website, but I'm sure that if I try it again I will just do it on the stovetop and get a much better result.  

In an attempt to do a last minute recipe for Monday (not crockpot), I was craving a dessert with apples in it.  I made Dr. Fuhrman's Apple Strudel, which turned out wonderful!  The only changes I made to the recipe was an addition of 1/2 c oats, to make it more crunchy and apple-pie-y, and 1/4 c chopped walnuts instead of ground raw almonds.  Here it is (as the original recipe).

Dr. Fuhrman's Apple Strudel
Ingredients:
1/4 c apple juice
3/4 t vanilla extract
1 t cinnamon
1/4 c almond milk
3 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1/4 c raisins, chopped
1/2 c old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 c ground raw almonds

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a bowl, mix the apple juice, vanilla, cinnamon, and milk until combined.  Stir in the chopped apples, raisins, oats, and ground almonds.  Pour into an 8x8in baking dish.  Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour.


Maybe I can get some better inspiration for next Crockpot Monday.  What is your favorite nutritarian, veggie-loaded crockpot recipe?



8 comments:

  1. How many servings does this make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes 2-4 servings. Honestly, I liked it so much I ate it by myself in two sittings, so I would say 2 servings for hungry dessert-loving people. Hope you enjoy! -Amy

      Delete
  2. I think dr f listed 1/4 c, or 1 egg white to this recipe. It certainly would be optional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He may have, but I generally don't have eggs on hand. You could most certainly use a flax egg as well. Thank for reading!

      Delete
  3. i dont drink juices.. what could you use in place of the apple juice? blended apples. thinned out with water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would be a great substitute. I know that some people in lieu of owning a juicer, use a high powered blender with some added water to make "juice" that still retains the fiber of the whole food.

      Delete
  4. Is there a way to print this recipe out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that I don't have a "print" button on this recipe. You can try copying and pasting to a Word/Pages document and print from there.

      Delete