2012-05-21

Potatoes with Fresh Baby Greens

I hope everyone is having a good start to their week.  I'm in the summer mode where I am loosing track of which day of the week it is since I have nowhere I need to be.  Believe me, the job search is in full throttle!  Wish me luck in finding something soon!

For now, my days have consisted of making healthier food for myself, job searching, and blogging.  One fun part about being home right now is getting to watch my parent's garden start to grow like crazy!  They made a modest-sized raised-bed garden in our backyard and have planted it with green leaf lettuce, kale, spinach, onions, green onions, basil, carrots, beets, and radishes.  So far, everything is above ground, but the beets and radishes seem to be growing the fastest.  The other day, I helped by pulling some of the beets and radishes so that they don't crowd out each other and grow a bit better.  My mom ended up Googling that beet and radish greens are edible, so I thought I should try to make something with it.

Potatoes with Fresh Baby Greens
Ingredients:

  • 4 red potatoes, washed and cubed
  • 1-2 cups fresh baby greens, washed
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
  • several mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 Tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
  • fresh ground pepper 


Directions:  In a large skillet on medium heat, water saute the garlic and union until onion is tender.  Add the potatoes and cover, adding water as needed to not allow ingredients to burn, and stirring occasionally. "Steam" the potatoes for several minutes, until you are able to just pierce with a fork.  Add the mushrooms and stir until they are lightly cooked.  Add in basil, pepper, and any other spices you desire.  Finally, place the greens on top and cover with a lid once more for 2 minutes.  Once greens are lightly "steamed", stir them into the dish and serve hot.

Amy's Notes:  This was a really satisfying recipe that came together quickly.  It could easily be a great breakfast food (with a bit of hot sauce).  Because the greens came from our garden, the radishes had small red roots that we minced up and placed on top (that you can see in the serving photos), obviously this is not needed, but gave the dish an extra spice to it.  It would be equivalent to one normal sized radish minced.  If you don't have baby garden greens, spinach, arugula, or kale would work great to replace the greens.


What is your favorite type of fresh produce to get from your garden?  What vegetables do you want to have in your fantasy garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment