2013-05-21

Weekend and the Start of Week 3

I hope everyone had a great weekend!  Mine seemed to go a bit too fast, unfortunately.  Since I missed posting my daily logs, today I will have the logs from Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and today.

Saturday: Day 6, Week 2
Food Log: 
  • Breakfast: 1 apple
  • Lunch: lentil chili with polenta jalepeno biscuits
  • Dinner: Dr. Fuhrman's Rainbow Potato Salad, whole wheat bread with chive hummus (recipe coming soon), and corn on the cob
  • Extras: 2 beers with dinner, 3 beers in the evening
Exercise log: Nada... let's call it my rest day

How I felt: On Saturday I just felt like being lazy, lazy, lazy!  All I did in the afternoon was hang out on the couch with Kevin and then make the potato salad and chive hummus for the BBQ that evening.  My friend Stephanie (check out here blog here) hosted the BBQ at her house to have friends come and help her finish a very mighty bottle of beer from Rogue brewery.  It was about three times the size of a champagne bottle, I estimate.  To avoid eating too bad of foods, I brought my own corn on the cob to put on the grill, as well as Dr. Fuhrman's Rainbow Potato Salad, and a new creation of mine: chive hummus (recipe coming soon once I polish off this first batch!).  After the BBQ Kevin and I headed up north of Spokane to our friends' new house to play some games.  Overall, I think I did better eating this Saturday than I did the last, although there were plenty of temptations.

Sunday: Day 7, Week 2
Food Log: 
  • Breakfast: none, we slept in
  • Lunch: peanut noodles and veggies
  • Dinner: Dr. Fuhrman's Rainbow Potato Salad, 2 slices Dave's Killer Bread with chive hummus
  • Extras: watermelon, 1 Dr. Fuhrman brownie
Exercise log: Does housework count?

How I felt:  On Sunday I felt like in the evening, I just ate to eat.  I even had so much watermelon in the evening to feel painfully full.  At least it was watermelon that got me to that point and not something that doesn't mostly consists of water.  All the same, I know I shouldn't eat past the point of being content.  Gotta work on that!

Monday: Day 1, Week 3
Food Log:
  • Breakfast: watermelon
  • Lunch: Dr. Fuhrman's Rainbow Potato Salad, kale salad massaged with avocado and lemon juice, and 1 apple
  • Dinner: brown rice with Indian red lentils, kale, and onion
  • Extras: watermelon for dessert

Indian red lentils with kale and onion over brown rice
Exercise log: Work softball game

How I felt:  I felt happy with my food choices for the day.  My "exercise" wasn't too extraneous, but our team did end up winning.  Because we had our softball game in the evening, I didn't get around to making and eating dinner until nearly 9:30.  From a girl who grew up in a house that served dinner at 5 P.M. sharp, this threw off my grove a little.  I ended up not being able to go to sleep until nearly midnight and felt a bit sluggish the next day for that.  I guess we learn from our mistakes.

Tuesday: Day 2, Week 3
Food Log:
  • Breakfast: watermelon, 1 banana
  • Lunch: brown rice with Indian red lentils, kale, and onion; 1 banana; 1 apple
  • Dinner: 1 slice Dave's Killer Bread with chive hummus, 1 apple
  • Extras: 2 beers

Exercise log: 20 minutes on an inclined treadmill, push-ups, sit-ups, stretching

How I feel:  I was proud of myself that I made it to the gym after, let's say, not my favorite day at work...  Let me explain: I am the party coordinator for all of the events around the two offices I work at.  On Thursday, we have planned a Spring BBQ to boost ccamaraderie and enjoy the decent weather we have been seeing.  To prep for this, I made my shopping list and.... cleaned out the grill.... that hadn't been touched in over a year, and it didn't seem like it had ever been cleaned.  I am not normally a squeamish person, but while cleaning this, I gagged several times and nearly threw up twice.  As I worked on cleaning the scum from burned meat of the past off of the grill, I got to thinking that if this black tar was created on the insides of this grill after a year or two, think of what a lifetime of eating these meats does to the inside of someone.  Certainly not black tar, but I'm sure just as greasy plaques inside of their arteries.  I can say this for certain: I will never eat any sort of grilled meat again.  At least that unpleasant activity reaffirmed why I am doing this 6-week Eat to Live Challenge.
How I felt about that nasty grill....
I just want to say, thank you to all who have been following, or partially following my progress.  It means a lot to me to have an audience to keep me accountable and are so encouraging.  I'm sorry that this post is a bit lack luster, but like I said earlier: my recipe for chive hummus is coming soon, and it is crazy good!

How was your weekend?  Do you find it harder to stick to your health goals over weekends or holidays (especially as we are getting into BBQ and picnic season)?

No comments:

Post a Comment