2014-01-31

Spicy Buffalo Wing Hummus for Superbowl Sunday!

Go Hawks!

Some of you may know from previous blog posts that I live in Spokane, Washington... so naturally, I have been a Seahawks fan my whole life.  All season long Kevin and I, along with all of our friends who are also Seahawk fans, have watched them march to victory.  And now, with only two days left until the Superbowl, we can't wait for the best victory of all!!!

In the meantime, the Inland Northwest has gotten a bit of snow.  The driving hasn't been too bad (not Alabama bad), but the key is just to go slow, have the right tires, and to stay away from cars as if everyone is out to get you.  It has worked so far for me!
Here is Kevin shoveling snow at my parent's place after working out at the gym.
I can't believe he wasn't freezing in a t-shirt and shorts!
 I was happily inside playing with my puppy. :)
Last night we went to the gym and Kevin did weight training and cycling while I went to a yoga class.  I am always so relaxed afterwards, but also thoroughly sweaty from the hot temperature and challenging moves.  Tonight, after Kevin is finished with one of his last exams before becoming a Certified Secondary Education Teacher in Washington, we're planning on going to the gym to workout.  I'm planning on working in the workout below into our session.


We are planning on spending our Superbowl at a bar just down the street from our apartment.  We were lucky enough to win a raffle for a $20 gift card and pick of tables for the Superbowl the last time we went for the playoff game.  Before heading to the bar for the game, we are planning on having everyone over for some pre-game snackies and beer (so our gameday tab doesn't end up being too horrible).  For the party I will be making one of my favorite dips: Spicy Buffalo Wing Hummus!

Spicy Buffalo Wing Hummus

Ingredients:

  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 cup Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce (more to taste)
  • 3 Tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
  • 2 Tbsp bean liquid
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper *Optional*

Instructions:

  1. Place all ingredients into a food processor.  Blend until smooth and creamy, adding more Wing Sauce and/or cayenne pepper to reach the desired spiciness.
  2. Scoop the hummus into your desired serving or storage dish and sprinkle with some extra cayenne pepper (or paprika if you are not a fan of the heat... that the Seattle D will be bringing on Sunday!).
  3. Serve immediately or chill until game-time!  Serve with whole wheat pita slices and veggies to dip. 

Amy's Notes:

I LOVE this hummus with celery sticks.  My husband loves to eat spicy chicken wings, so when we go out and he has those, I often order a side of wing sauce with a bunch of celery to enjoy.  Celery seems to always accompany wings, and it makes the perfect flavor combo here.  I find that celery has a way of cooling down the heat in a sauce or dip, while still allowing you to enjoy all of the flavors.

Check out this hilarious Superbowl commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBKX2RV3Ajw

3 comments:

  1. Yummm! This sounds delicious! I will have to give this one a try. And btw, Go Broncos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you making this for Super Bowl? Let me know how it goes over!
      As for the game... we shall see ;)

      Delete
  2. I am totally going to try ordering celery and wing sauce while out. I always get so jealous of all the people eating hot wings around me. It's honestly probably the only thing I miss. I eat plenty of hot sauce to make up for it at home, but hadn't figured out how to cope with it while watching sports with friends. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete